If you ask about cheap travel by train in Spain, the answer is yes, you can. Renfe, the national railway company, offers reasonable prices for all routes. However, high-speed trains are more expensive than long distance.
Here is a list of things I use to buy a ticket, high-speed train in Spain. They will help you save a fortune.
1.Look for very cheap prices online
These are not available at the counters or travel agencies.
Renfe site, you can purchase tickets 62 days prior to travel by train (as well as the AVE and Avant). In fact, all trains are both "Web" and "Estrella" (Star) discounts. Are available to anyone (regardless of age), and the best solution for driving in Spanish!
* To get the price "Web" (60% discount), buy your ticket at least 15 days prior to departure.
* To get a quote "Star" (40% discount) to buy your ticket at least 7 days before departure date.
It 'clear, before buying a ticket, the greater the chance of getting one of these prices for airline tickets.
2. Get discounts if you're going to another city for an international flight
In general, Renfe offers a 20% discount when purchasing a return ticket.
If you're headed to an airport to take an international flight, or if you intend to take the train right after landing, you can get an extra
* 10% (one way) or a 25% discount (yield) and tickets AVE
* 15% discount in each direction on the front and entries Middle Distance
This option is called "Plane + train" (flight + train). But you must have your ticket with you before you buy your train ticket. Therefore, you should buy a ticket at a station or a travel agency.
It is also available if you go for an international cruise (eg Barcelona or Valencia). This parameter is called "Barco + TREN (Ship + train).
3. If you are looking for a return ticket to buy two single tickets in each direction, respectively. In this way, you can get a discounted price bigger every day.
4. Try to avoid a very busy day, as the Sunday (especially after 05:00), Monday (especially morning) and Friday (all day). Unfortunately, you will never get a discount if you plan to travel on Friday afternoon (ie after 1:00), why not contribute to the Renfe train.
5. The first and last trains are always cheaper. Buy your ticket in time, from early morning and evening trains are full of business customers.
6. train non-stop flights to Barcelona is more expensive. Try stopping in Madrid, even if it means moving from one train to another.
7. Looking for cheap train travel as a student? Use the map of International Youth Travel! It will give you a 20% discount on each ticket. Note that all discounts are mutually exclusive. Therefore, if you buy a ticket in a kind of "network" can not get the student discount of 20%.
8. All children under 4 travel free if she sits on his lap.
9. Avoid buying anything in the cafeterias of the station and shops and train and coach cafeteria. Prices are generally abusive. You need to bring snacks and drinks with you instead.
As you can see, it's very easy to use rail travel prices! If you need some simple instructions on how to purchase tickets online, please download a step-by-step guide you can print and read at your leisure.